[Gegl-developer] Image meta data

It may be worth to consider a way of passing image meta-information through the graph. I am very much not sure about the best way to achieve this.

If it a good idea for this to remain in the consumer/producer paradigm, then image readers could have a producer that produces a collection of objects (name-value pairs?) that describe all the meta info. It should be broad enough to cover all common attributes, so it can be fairly file-format neutral. (then, of course, include the associated consumer in file readers).

I think it should mostly be beyond the scope of gegl to handle this stuff. It would be a good idea for gegl to provide hooks to the information though, so that other services (external to gegl) can handle the problem of what kind of meta-info should be written to files.

To say another way: gegl should provide access to this information in a way that hides details of the file format as well as hooks to read and write the information to files, but should _not_ provide a means to change that information. I don't think that changing the information is suited to the directed-graph model of processing, and I don't want to push gegl's range of features into areas best handled by other parts of the gimp.

--
Dan