[Gegl-developer] Re: [Gimp-developer] caching considerations in gegl

Hi,

Daniel Rogers <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> What I am going for here is a request for comments.  I spout some
> ideas about how I think how tilemanagement would be done, and those
> people that actually have to deal with tile management tell me how I
> might improve things.

looks very sane overall and I couldn't find any obvious design
mistakes. There is one thing that is already halfway implemented in
the current system and that I'd like to see considered. I'm speaking
of a way to have hints about the pixel data stored in tiles. Such a
hint could for example state that the tile is completely transparent,
that it is fully opaque or even solid-colored.  We have this as
tile-row hints since GIMP-1.2 but I think it would make sense to have
such hints on the tile level as well. The cache system should probably
know about these hints since it wouldn't make much sense to swap a
solid-colored tile to disk since it can be regenerated faster than it
could be swapped in.

Salut, Sven