[Gegl-developer] researching colorspaces, colormodels, colorspace ops

I have been researching digital color representation. (I was interested in perhaps writing those color conversion ops on your todo list). I have found a potential solution, but I want to run it past everyone in charge to make sure that I should get started on it.

Color conversion within and around device dependent colorspaces like RGB, I have discovered, is a very sticky issue. It is almost pointless, it seems, to consider writing colorspace conversion ops of any sort of quality without taking into consideration device dependent variables.

Essentially, RGB (or CMY) color space doesn't specify a white point or the cromacity of each color component, so these values have to be either assumed or acquired from some kind of device specific description file (e.g. an ICC device profile).

This prompted me to do a little research to see if anyone else has solved this problem in a manner that would be compatible with the project. The lcms is a color management library that could be used to handle the color space conversions correctly. I belive this is the best solution to the color conversion problem, and would give us potential for real color management.

I think that any other solution would have to be rewritten later, assuming that colormanagment is a desireable thing (and, by all accounts, it is).

What do you think?

--
Dan