Re: Inquiries regarding the specifications of __builtin_aarch64_simd_qi (__builtin_aarch64_simd_qi の仕様に関して問い合わせ)

On 12/06/2024 03:38, Narishima, Keiichirou via Gcc-help wrote:
> GCC Helper,
>
> 【English】
> Product information: armv8.2 CoretevA76 aarch64
>
> Question background
> I am the person in charge of obtaining functional safety approval for
> arm_neon.h.
>
> I inquired at ARM, but they were unable to answer because it was an
> internal code of GCC, and asked me to check the GCC documentation, so I
> contacted GCC Help.
> Problem
> When I run the static analysis tool, it says "Casting between pointers to
> objects that point to different types is prohibited."
> I tried looking for information about __builtin_aarch64_simd_qi, but I was
> unable to find anything in the official GCC documentation.
>
> Question
> Could you please tell me the following information?
>
> 1. Why is no data loss occurring when (int8_t *) is cast to
> (__builtin_aarch64_simd_qi *)?
> 2. Could you please tell me the specifications of the built-in functions of
> __builtin_aarch64_st1v8qi, or give me the URL of the specifications?
> 3. Please tell me the specification of built-in cast of
> __builtin_aarch64_simd_qi or the URL of the specification.

arm_neon.h in GCC implements the AdvancedSIMD (Neon) related aspects of the Arm ACLE specification.  The internals of how that is done is private to the compiler (implementation detail), and we do not publicly document that as it may change from release to release; the low-level builtin functions should only be used via the intrinsic functions that ACLE specifies.

For static analysis purposes you should treat everything within this header as private to the compiler.  For example, arm_sve.h defines a large number of ACLE intrinsics for use with the SVE extension, but it hides all the implementation detail behind a single #pragma statement.

R.