Re: sanitizer not detecting buffer overrun

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 8:06 AM Sam James <sam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Navin P via Gcc-help <gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Why doesn't sanitizer catch this ? The value ptr is a valid address but it
> > did a buffer overflow into another object a3 and then it is a valid
> > address. This is from production code where a ptr whose base was different
> > array address overflows into another array and becomes a valid address.
> > This is not caught by address sanitizer.
> >
> >    - How do you detect this and fix this ? Are there any alternative
> >    datastructures in C or C++ that prevent these kind of overruns
> >    Please don't increase the cookie or red zone size between arrays. Again
> >    sizes more than the cookie or redzone between arrays or objects can be
> >    overrun
>
> You appear to have answered your own question unless I'm
> misunderstanding you?
>
> ASAN does not claim to capture every possible overflow. It has to strike
> a balance, for one, between performance and catching errors (it has some
> other trade-offs too).
>
> Are you interested in a broad technical discussion about alternatives
> to redzones and other mitigations like SSP (which is unrelated here...)
> or are you wondering specifically just about how ASAN works and why it
> missed something?

I was asking if there exists any way to catch such errors ?
Assuming right now there doesn't exist any such implementation i was
thinking of an approach as to how it should be.
All pointers are null by default. Every pointer has a [start,end) . pointer
arithmetic even though it is not dereferenced cannot go beyond the end.
The start,end can be stored in a hash table for each pointer and it should
always stay within the bounds. Assignment of pointers copies the [start,end]
range to the lvalue from the rvalue.

ptr=ptr+x if x is greater than array size +1 is undefined
ptr=ptr+x-y where x=array size+10 and y=11 is defined

Do you think this is right and covers all cases ? Are there better ways ?
What does it take to implement this ? Maybe I can try or is it too complicated ?