Re: GCC compiles but code crashes. Works w/ Intel compiler

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023, 13:51 Ken Mankoff, <mankoff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> On 2023-06-18 at 01:10 -07, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote...
> > On Sun, 18 Jun 2023, 01:58 Ken Mankoff via Gcc-help,
> > <gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to rebuild everything using GNU/gcc.
> >

> > What does this mean? Most people here are not familiar with Spack, and
> > I have no idea what it means to rebuild using GNU/gcc. Do you just
> > mean using gcc instead of the Intel compiler?
>
> By 'rebuild' I meant 'compile'. Yes - I'm trying to compile using gcc
> instead of Intel.

OK. Intel is also an architecture, so without context it wasn't clear you
meant the Intel compiler.

Spack is a package manager. Perhaps not useful information.

> >> I also now have all the dependencies rebuilt with GNU (lots of
> >> guesswork there). It runs for 1 day. It fails on day 2 when the
> >> coupling between the models is done for the first time.
> >
> > Fails how?
> >
> > It crashes? How? What causes it to crash? What does gdb show?
>
> An array contains a value (1.8e+215) causing an assert to fail.

You didn't say anything about an assertion failing, you said it crashed,
which implies something like a segfault, bus error, invalid pointer
dereference, etc.

A failed assertion is very different.

I provided gdb output.

You provided some double values that are meaningless to anybody here.

If this code is supposed to be completed with a particular compiler, then
it's unsurprising that a different compiler would give different results
for floating-point calculations. How stable are the results? How confident
are you that the expected results are even reproducible with a different
compiler?