Re: Building gcc 4.9.2 on AIX 7.1

> On Jun 11, 2023, at 08:26, Randy Galbraith via Gcc-help <gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello GCC community.
>
> I am looking for help building GCC 4.9.2 (also tried 4.9.4 and 5.4.0) on
> IBM AIX Unix 7.1. Each attempt freezes during the run of build/genmddeps.
> This appears to be related to two ld warnings:
>
> ld: 0711-768 WARNING: Object build/genmddeps.o, section 1, function .ferror:
>            The branch at address 0x3cc is not followed by a recognized
> no-op
>            or TOC-reload instruction. The unrecognized instruction is
> 0x7C691B78.
>
> ld: 0711-768 WARNING: Object build/genmddeps.o, section 1, function .ferror:
>            The branch at address 0x3cc is not followed by a recognized
> no-op
>            or TOC-reload instruction. The unrecognized instruction is
> 0x7C691B78.
>
> The compile/link of genmddeps was this:
>
> g++   -g -DIN_GCC    -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -fasynchronous-unwind-tables
> -W -Wall -Wno-narrowing -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-qual -Wno-format
> -Wmissing-format-attribute -pedantic -Wno-long-long -Wno-variadic-macros
> -Wno-overlength-strings -fno-common  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DGENERATOR_FILE
> -static-libstdc++ -static-libgcc -Wl,-bbigtoc -Wl,-bmaxdata:0x40000000 -o
> build/genmddeps \
>    build/genmddeps.o build/read-md.o build/errors.o
> ../../build-powerpc-ibm-aix7.1.0.0/libiberty/libiberty.a
>
> OS version:

Those aren't binutils linker warnings.  Those are coming from the system linker.  Which probably means you are using the system assembler, too.  Or maybe even the odd case where you're using binutils for the assembler but the system linker.

Can you try with using binutils for the assembler and linker?  I am assuming you either have an older version of GCC for building the newer version of it, or perhaps you have the Sun Pro compilers.  In any case, you could use whichever bootstrap compiler you have to build binutils, and then put they binutils in PATH.  The GCC configure script should then chose those for building.