Deprecation of C89?

Hi!

I was just wondering if there are any plans to drop support of C89 (and
gnu89) at any point in the future.  I didn't find any such discussion in
the mailing list.

That change would probably break very ancient code (implicit int, implicit
function declarations, ...), but such code is very likely to have been
updated in the last several decades to be at least compatible with C99, so
I don't expect that much breakage.

Most big projects have already migrated, with only a few still resisting
(curl comes to mind).  But again, I think they use a subset that would
compile under C99 with little or no modification.

I guess supporting C89 keeps a lot of extra complexity in GCC's source code
itself, and maybe even hinders some optimizations.

Cheers,
Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
GPG key fingerprint: A9348594CE31283A826FBDD8D57633D441E25BB5