Multiple return values and dynamic typing in a new frontend

I recently got an idea of a new programming language and I'm thinking of
implementing it as a gcc frontend. My proposed language has multiple return
values and a possibility to use tagged dynamically typed variables, like in
Lisp. There will also be a possibility to use static typing for variables
that will only ever have a single type during their lifetime. I've read gcc
internals but haven't written any code yet. I plan to use a private
representation for parsing and semantic analysis, then convert to GIMPLE.
Is it preferred to convert multiple return values to extra reference
parameters before converting to GIMPLE or should I rather expand the
middle-end to support them properly? I'm also worried that dynamically
typed variables won't get optimized as they must be implemented as a
language-specific opaque type. But I can live with this and implement
optimization for them later. That optimization would delete unnecessary
type checks if it could prove them unnecessary.

Thank you for your insights :)

BR
Juhani Viheräkoski