Re: Recursive SIGSEGV question

On 29/03/2019 00:05, Jonny Grant wrote:

> On 28/03/2019 04:59, Xi Ruoyao wrote:

>> C++ exception is a well-defined language feature.  There are even guys
>> (mis)using it in cases we normally use "if (...) {...}"
>>
>>> Ok I see, thank you for pointing this out.
>>>
>>> I did wonder, as -fsanitize=address seems to inhibit the core dump that
>>> is otherwise created by the abort() that appears to be called - is that
>>> a known issue?
>>>
>>> $ g++-8 -Wall -o exception exception.cpp
>>> jonny@asus:~/code/crash$ ./exception
>>> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
>>>     what():  vector::_M_range_check: __n (which is 0) >= this->size()
>>> (which is 0)
>>> Aborted (core dumped)
>>> $
>>>
>>> Usually I just load the core dump into GDB to take a look at it.
>>
>> It seems so.  I don't know if this is a intentional feature or an oversight.

>>> Yes, I'd love to have a stack trace for exceptions that terminate the
>>> process. Do you know a simple example you can refer me to?  I've looked
>>> and there are people using boost::stacktrace::stacktrace() but I'd
>>> rather not link to boost as a dependency.
>>>
>>> It would be great if there was a glibc option to do this, or GCC could
>>> insert it.
>>
>>> Otherwise we each need to insert our own stack tracers...
>>>
>>> Found this:
>>> https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Backtraces.html
>>>
>>> I added this (attached) to a C++ exception handler, but there's no file
>>> and line numbers. Other examples resort to calling addr2line! Seems a
>>> bit over the top for us each to code our own stack tracer... Or reading
>>> symbols etc. Am I asking too much for a general print_backtrace() in
>>> libc or elsewhere ?
>>
>> Providing backtrace with file:line requires to parse debug info.
>>
>> glibc libSegFault.so just record a stack bracktrace w/o line numbers.  The shell
>> wrapper catchsegv convert addresses into line numbers calling addr2line.
>
> Hi!
>
> libSegFault.so seems like a big module! If it only records stack frames like the backtrace() and backtrace_symbols() functions get in around 10 lines of code. Maybe libSegFault does a lot more than it seems. I was using these functions
> https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Backtraces.html
>

> catchsegv doesn't show line numbers for me:
>
> backtrace:
> ./loop(+0x9ae)[0x55ee7f23e9ae]
> ./loop(+0xa03)[0x55ee7f23ea03]
> ./loop(+0xa03)[0x55ee7f23ea03]
> [repeats]
>
> This is the stack overflow testcase. Please find attached.
>
> The file does have the info:
> $ addr2line -e loop 0xa03
> /home/jonny/code/crash/loop.cpp:7 (discriminator 4)
>

>> If you don't want to call addr2line (or other tools) you'll need DWARF parser in
>> the executable. Why should we bloat the executable with a lot of code which
>> should be in (and has been in) a debugger?

> [...]

It's not pretty, but this wrapper catches NULL passed at compile time:

std::string make_std_string(const char * const str)
{
    // This line ensures: warning: dereference of NULL '0' [CWE-476] [-Wanalyzer-null-dereference]
    char b = *str;
    std::string s(str);
    s[0] = b; // copy it back to avoid unused variable warning
    return s;
}

int main()
{
    const char * a = NULL;
    std::string result = make_std_string(a);
    std::cout << result;
}

note, there a PR in latest gcc for an issue, so need to use -Wno-analyzer-use-of-uninitialized-value to avoid std::string having an incorrect warning reported.