Re: Could __builtin_printf parameters be optimized when being compiled

On 15/02/2023 15:27, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> On 15/02/2023 15:10, Jonny Grant wrote:
>> Thank you for your quick reply Richard.

>>> We already do when the printf contains simply the format string and no additional arguments.
>>>
>>> I guess it might be possible to handle cases where all the arguments are constant, but even that has its problems, eg:
>>>
>>> - can we guarantee identical output to the platform printf?
>>
>> That's a good question. I was using __builtin_printf so that should be GCC I expect.
>>

> No, __builtin_printf is really just an internal hook that is used to handle optimisations of printf - if you look at your assembly output you'll see it is translated back to printf for the C library to handle.

ok I see. I changed the example to take off the end "\n" and it goes back to printf (otherwise it is puts() )
https://godbolt.org/z/W46esaWKd

>>> - does it cause string bloat (what if there were 30 or so such statements in your program all identical except for the line number)?
>>
>> That's probably what I am expecting, to see those 30 different formatted strings.
>>
>>> - does it even happen often enough to be worth adding (and maintaining) support?  Nothing comes for free in a compiler and the optimisations have to be worth-while in the real world.
>>>
>>> R.
>>
>> You're completely right, it could bloat the file with strings.
>>
>> I can do some with multi-line literals, to get "file /app/example.cpp compiled Feb 15 2023"
>> __FILE__ and __DATE__ worked ok.
>>
>> but it didn't like me putting __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ in the middle. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. Likewise I can't use __builtin_LINE() as that is a function rather than a string. Maybe __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ and __FUNCTION__ are calls to  __builtin_FUNCTION().
>>
>> int main()
>> {
>>      const char * s = "file " \
>>          __FILE__ \
>>          " compiled " \
>>          __DATE__ \
>>          "\n";
>>
>>      __builtin_printf("%s", s);
>>      __builtin_printf("%s\n", __PRETTY_FUNCTION__);  // didn't work when I put in the middle.
>>

> That's because __func__, __FUNCTION__ and __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ are not string literals but implicitly declared identifies containing a constant string literal as the initializer - you can't therefore combine them with string literals by simple concatenation.  See
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Function-Names.html
>
> which clearly states this.

Ok, thank you for the link, I understand it wouldn't support simple concatenation of __func__ etc the way __DATE__ works.

I remembered I could convert macro arguments in into a string constant. So could get the __LINE__ which is enough with the file name into one string with GCC.

#define xto_str(s) to_str(s)
#define to_str(s) #s

int main()
{
    const char * s = __FILE__ ":" xto_str(__LINE__);
    __builtin_printf(s);
}

.LC0:
        .string "/app/example.cpp:6"