Re: Random Crash Observed while running program compiled with latest gcc

Hi,

praveen ab via Gcc-help <gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> We are upgrading the GCC version for our existing C/C++ project.
> Earlier we were using gcc 5.4 and everything was working fine.(The
> application works fine even with gcc 7.4)
> When trying to build the application using gcc 8.1 and above we are
> observing the random crashes mostly segmentation fault.
> Any suggestions on how to debug this?
>
> Right now I am trying the following:
> Enabling the -Wall flag and trying to fix all the warnings
> Using GDB to inspect memory location and variables.
>
> Please Suggest anything else that needs to be checked?

The UB sanitizer might also prove useful to detect UB that does not
necessarily result in crashes.  Pass -fsanitize=undefined to enable it.

I can't provide much more specific instructions, but it's quite likely
that there's a good bit of UB in the code you're building, if it broke
in such a regard on compiler updates.

Is there a reason for using GCC 8 as opposed to newer GCC versions?

Best of luck, have a great day.
--
Arsen Arsenović