Help with GCC function attributes

Hi I need clarification about the assume_aligned and malloc function
attributes described here:
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Common-Function-Attributes.html

1) assume_aligned - The description is a bit ambiguous, I assume that an
aligned pointer means that the referenced address is aligned and not the
pointer itself. Am I correct?
2) malloc - Does the malloc attribute imply that the pointer returned by
the function is aligned to the standard malloc alignment or do I have to
separately specify an alignment via the assumed_aligned attribute.

Thanks in advance.