Re: which compiler is right (either to compile or to barf)...

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 8:35 PM LIU Hao <lh_mouse@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think this is a bug in Clang. Instantiation of `shared_ptr<T<U>>` is not
> meant to instantiate
> `T<U>`. Your code actually compiles fine if the definition of `J` was not
> provided.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> LIU Hao

Thanks :) It is rather interesting, there is a discussion at
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues/59292
which may be pointing to implementation differences between stdlibc++ and
libc++ etc.

There is thinknig that it just may be UB in the originally-posted code (if
so then clang is rather helpful there, but only when used with libstdc++
apparently.. as I haven't personally verified the delta between building
against different libs :) :) )

The current thought prorcess is that std component must be allowed by the
standard to be instantiated with incomplete type T. And vector is allowed
so indeed (but I think it must be complete by the time its members, e.g.
via member-function invocation, are referenced)... so then it may come down
to std::optional and its implementation -- whether its ctor is referencing
any vector's members (dtor etc.) ...

I suppose the official way would be to find whether ::std::optional may be
instantiated with incomplete type T (say even if only when using default,
no value present, ctor overload)... and if it not mentioned of being able
to do so then it would be a bug in the original code (at which point having
some toolchain being able to detect it is rather super nice :) :)

I dont know to be honest if standard's doco for such ctor , e.g.
   constexpr optional() noexcept; constexpr optional(nullopt_t) noexcept;
         Postconditions: *this does not contain a value.
<https://timsong-cpp.github.io/cppwp/n4861/optional#ctor-1.sentence-1>
         Remarks: No contained value is initialized.
<https://timsong-cpp.github.io/cppwp/n4861/optional#ctor-2.sentence-1>
         For every object type T these constructors are constexpr
constructors

would be sufficient to infer the ability to instantiate with incomplete
type... probably not (I'm not enough of an expert to see through this with
my cloudy head atm :)