Re: determining impact of vulnerability CVE-2022-27943 in libiberty/rust-demangle.c

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 at 17:12, <fus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The above mentioned CVE
> (https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2022-27943) just specifies GNU GCC
> 11.2 to be affected, but fails to eplicitly specify that previous
> versions are not affected. Does this CVE only affect exactly GCC version
> 11.2?

No, some earlier versions are affected.

> And I would also like to know how I can determine whether or not I will
> be eposed to this vulnerability when using an affected version. Is the
> rust demangler used internally by any C/C++ tools

No.

> or will I only be
> affected when compiling rust programs?

It isn't used when compiling rust programs. It's only used when
inspecting binaries containing rust code, e.g. using the 'nm-new'
utility. If I understand correctly, the stack overflow can only happen
with binaries containing bogus symbol names specially crafted to
exploit the bug.