Re: Need to build libgfortran.a and libquadmath.a

 Thank you Jonathan for your quick response. I am afraid at the moment I don't have access to such a multicore system. I will investigate setting one up.
I tried a different approach and that was to build within the libgfortran subfolder, by running 'configure' followed by 'make' in that subfolder. I needed to make libbacktrace.la and libbacktrace.a available. However this worked and 'libgfortran.a' was created.
So I tried the same approach in the libquadmath subfolder in order to build 'libquadmath.a'. So in this subfolder I ran:
automake./configuremake
However all I got was the following output and no files created:
make  all-am
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/root/gcc/libquadmath'

make  DO=all multi-do # make

make[2]: Entering directory '/home/root/gcc/libquadmath'

make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/root/gcc/libquadmath'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/root/gcc/libquadmath'

What should I do here? I presume that this is what the higher Makefile in gcc runs in this subfolder. So if I was run 'make' of the gcc folder all the through, I presume that it wouldn't make the file 'libquadmath.a' either. How do I get it to make libquadmath.a using the Makefile in the libquadmath subfolder?
Thanks,
Andy
    On Monday, 28 March 2022, 20:52:56 BST, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 at 19:19, Andy Bowery via Gcc-help
<gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Help! I need to build both libgfortran.a and libquadmath.a for an embedded ARM-based environment. These libraries are currently not available for this environment, so I going to have to build them myself. Both need to be static libraries.  I have downloaded the GNU GCC project and I am currently running 'make' (in the top level gcc folder) on this in this environment, but it is taking days on this limited environment! And I am not even sure it will produce the files I need. Is there a quicker way of building these files?

Don't build on the ARM system, build a cross compiler that runs on a
much more powerful multicore system.

> Will this make process produce these particular files?

It depends how you configured GCC.