Tool Qualification GCC

Hi all,

I work for the EDAG Engineering GmbH as a System Safety Engineer in the Functional Safety department in Weinheim (Germany).
We were asked by Luminar (contact person: Manjeet Bilra) to qualify the software tools used in the development. You were named as our contact regarding the following tool:

- GCC, V 7.5

For the tools mentioned, could you please answer the following list of questions and provide us with the relevant documentation?

Sr. No.
Checkpoints
Response
Remarks
Tools-Classfication&Qualification
1
Is the Tool classified and qualified according to ISO26262?
If yes: what are the resulting outcomes?
- Tool Confidence Level (TCL)
- Maximum ASIL
- Qualification methods

2
If not: Is the tool classified and qualified (or developed) according to a different standard?

3
What are the known malfunctions & whether there is an databank showing previous malfunctions.

4
Is the tool capable of detecting any tool failures?

5
What are the different use cases covered by the tool? Are all listed use cases evaluated as part of the tool Qualification.

6
Do we have the tool test report to confirm the integrity of the tool or confidence in the tool.

8
Is there a tool safety Manual and respective Tool Qualification Report available?

9
Does the tool provide any test suite to qualify the tool at the user end?

10
Are all previous tool defects and resulting patches, generated by the tool manufacturer, documented?
Could it be checked online on the tool manufacturers website?

11
In case there is no tool classification or qualification done at tool supplier side:
a) Are there any additional / alternate measures applied.
b) Is there a rationale to use the tool for safety critical development

Thank you in advance and best regards
Denis Stemmle

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
i.A. Denis Stemmle

Functional Safety Engineer
Abteilung Functional Safety & Cyber Security
Team Funktionale Sicherheit I
EDAG Engineering GmbH
Kompetenzcenter Weinheim
Höhnerweg 2-4 / Bau 101