Eax zeroed before call

Hi,

Hopefully this is the correct forum. I have a
Pascal like language using gcc as the backend.
For some reason a call to a simple procedure
with no parameters generates code to initialises eax to zero before the
call. With any parameters in the proc there’s no init.

Is there some way to prevent this init? Some
flag I can set, some arcane piece of wizardry?

Thanks Peter