Re: GCC 8.3.0, -flto and violation of C++ One Definition Rule

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 12:04 PM Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 at 17:01, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> > > This is long.  Not sure of the attachment fule for this, so I am
> > > pasting it in email.  Ib obfuscated the actual source file
> > > names, but this is the general gist of the link error.  I wonder if
> > > the error is coming from boost::python::api::object.
> > >
> > > /home/home/tkacvins/project/libbar/include/Bar.h:38:7: error: type
> > > ‘struct Bar’ violates the C++ One Definition Rule [-Werror=odr]
> >
> > You said it was defined in one C++ file, but it's clearly defined in a
> > header. So the problem is that the definition is different in
> > different translation units.
> >

> > >  class Bar {
> > >        ^
> > > /home/home/tkacvins/project/libbar/include/Bar.h:38:7: note: a
> > > different type is defined in another translation unit
> > >  class Bar {
> > >        ^
> > > /home/home/tkacvins/project/libbar/include/Bar.h:40:32: note: the
> > > first difference of corresponding definitions is field ‘api’
> > >          boost::python::object* api;
> > >                                 ^
> > > /home/home/tkacvins/project/libbar/include/Bar.h:40:32: note: a field
> > > of same name but different type is defined in another translation unit
> > >          boost::python::object* api;
> > >                                 ^
> > > /home/home/tkacvins/project/libbar/include/Bar.h:15:11: note: type
> > > name ‘boost::python::object’ should match type name
> > > ‘boost::python::api::object’
> > >      class object;
> > >            ^
> > > /home/BUILD64/lib/boost-1.69.0-py39-1/include/boost/python/object_core.hpp:238:9:
> > > note: the incompatible type is defined here
> > >    class object : public object_base
> > >          ^
> >
> > As it says, one definition has a member of type
> > ‘boost::python::object’ and another has a member of type
> > ‘boost::python::api::object’. I have two guesses how that could
> > happen: either you're compiling with two different versions of boost
> > (which seems unlikely because I think boost::python::api::object has
> > been in that namespace for 20 years), or you are using a forward
> > declaration of boost::python::object in your own files, instead of
> > including the correct boost header to define it properly.
> >
> > The most likely explanation is that somebody tried to "optimize" the
> > build by cheating, and not including the right boost header for the
> > type.
>
> Including <boost/python/object_fwd.hpp> would be the correct way to do that.

OK, I'll try that.  What we had done is some hackery with boost/python.hpp being
include in the C++ file and not the header (with the header in essence "forward
declaring" the boost namespace.  We did this because of a conflict between Qt
having an "#undef slots" but Python's object.h using slots in a struct
definition.
I worked around that, but I can try your suggestion - it just might work around
the issue with having to play the #undef game before including the header that
pulls in boost/python.hpp

Thanks for the help with this, it is much appreciated!

Tom