Re: persistent error

On Fri, 2021-11-12 at 08:09 +0000, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc-help wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2021, 02:28 Bill Cunningham via Gcc-help, <
> gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >      I have this error when trying to build a c++ end onto a gcc
> > "cross"
> > compiler already built in a small way. What I am doing is building a
> > "cross" compiler by following some of lfs's instructions. I want a
> > "cross" compiler but maybe I should just build a native compiler
> > with
> > bootstrapping disabled. I will eventually need a gcc compiler with
> > everything because any type of testing is done with a "full suite"
> > compiler, is my understanding. But, one thing at a time.
>

> It seems to me that just building a full GCC would be simpler than
> your
> piecemeal approach.
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Installing GCC

Note that even a x86_64 -> x86_64 cross compiler is still different from
a native compiler.  For example, cross compiler can produce executable
linking to a newer libc in a sysroot by default, so the executable will
not run on your native environment (you'll need to run it in a chroot).

So if you want a native compiler, just build a native compiler.  It's
just like if you want a duck, just buy a duck instead of buy a chicken
and put it into water :).

/* snip */

> I am going into gcc-11.2.0/libstdc++-v3 and running the configure
> > script there. That might not be  good idea.
>
> Don't do that then. Run the top-level configure instead.

The command in LFS is highly customized for our special purpose, to
build a Linux system from source code.  It's not a tutorial to build GCC
or a general tutorial to build a cross toolchain.  If you use LFS for
other purpose without a fully knowledge of what you are doing, you're
likely to encounter problems.

Even if you follow the LFS book strictly, the toolchain produced by
Chapter 5 is still not a full cross toolchain.  For example, our
libstdc++ in Chapter 5 has no thread support, that's why we will rebuild
it in Chapter 7.

If you want a tutorial for building a cross toolchain, you can easily
find one online with Google or something.  Again don't assume a chicken
to be a duck.

--
Xi Ruoyao <xry111@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>