Re: strlen

Hi Jonny, Segher,

On 7/9/21 3:54 PM, Jonny Grant wrote:
Yes, this could work. But it does rely on programmer typing it like that every time... Maybe an inline function better.

I agree on that.

inline size_t safestrlen(const char * s) {return s?strlen(s) : 0}

Perhaps there are too many email addresses on this cc list now.

I'd prefer a Annex K of C11 style function ISO/IEC TR 24731-1 for strlen() - but there isn't one such as strnlen_s.

Please, consider not calling some function safesomething() or similar, as it isn't 100% safe. It's like calling some thing "the new X". How will you call the next version? "the nova X"? And the next? "the supernew X"?

As I said before, unsigned types are unsafe, you may want to accept it or not, but they are.

Now, the day you realize that and develop an even safer function that doesn't use unsigned size_t, what will you call it? supersafestrlen()?

Use names that define your functions as closely as possible.