Re: Seeking advice on source of compilation errors in kernel header files

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021, 06:18 Vinod P wrote:

> The drivers that I am trying to compile had been originally written for
> Redhat6, and the compilation results in a bunch of errors in system header
> files such as <linux/printk.h>, <linux/kernel.h> et al.
>
> I do not wish to flood this post with specific errors,

Well then nobody can give you a good answer, just guesses based on your
incomplete description of the problem. Showing one or two examples of the
errors would make it possible for people to give good answers.

but rather what I am trying to figure out is why is it that I am seeing the
> errors in the kernel header files when the code is compiled on Redhat8 with
> the version of gcc that is included in the distribution.
>
> I am of the view that the root cause of the errors is a possible mismatch
> between the compiler version and the kernel source code.

That seems unlikely. I would guess that the reason is a mismatch between
the driver code you are compiling and the new kernel headers.