Re: freeing memory in a shared library affects the performance of a program that uses it

On Fri, 21 May 2021, 12:24 Alberto Gcchelp via Gcc-help, <
gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not sure this is the right place to ask, but I'm very frustrated by
> this issue, and I don't know of any other place to ask.
>
> I am not a professional programmer. Neither have I any education in
> computer science. Please forgive my inaccuracies in explaining the issue.
> Please excuse my terrible use of the English language as well.

The explanation is clear and your English is faultless.

> Why does deleting temporary objects in a shared library affect the
> performance of an unrelated part of the program? Does that make sense?

That is surprising, but you should talk to the Gmsh developers about it.

Maybe deleting those objects causes some other effects like destroying
memory pools, which then alters the behaviour of the rest of the program.
The Gmsh devs are in the best position to analyze it and explain it (and
maybe solve it).