Re: gcc-11 C++ Regression on Cygwin

James McKelvey writes:

My code works fine on Cygwin using C++ 10.2.0. But it fails when I build with the latest gcc-11 snapshot,gcc-11-20210426, with undefined references at link time. It fails under -O3 and -O0, with differenterrors. It failed under earlier snapshots as well.

My problem is that I do not know how to report the bug without providing most or all of the project.

Does your project involve building shared libraries, and attempt to use hidden visibility attributes to minimizes the amount of exported symbols?

I found that when I updated to 10 that the rules for default visibility of classes and methods has changed, or something has changed and I got a crapton of undefined references. It was a pain to figure out how to fix it. I just rebuild under 11 and that part was fine, but perhaps some other things in this area has changed between 10 and 11, and it bit you.

If that's the case there's no cookie-cutter, paint-by-numbers solution for this. Just have to track down each resolution failure, one by one, and figure out the solution.