Re: What is the difference between Scrt1.o and crt1.o?

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 09:05:11AM +0100, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc-help wrote:
> > >           Position-independent code requires special support, and
> > therefore works only on certain machines.  For the x86, GCC supports PIC
> > for System V but not for the Sun 386i.
> > >  Code
> > >           generated for the IBM RS/6000 is always position-independent.
> >
> > So -fpic should not be specified on IBM RS/6000? Is it still a
> > relevant architecture nowadays? It seems to be an old architecture
> > which is not relevant nowadays. This seems to be some history text
> > lingering on the manpage. Why not delete them from the manpage?
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_RISC_System/6000
>
> As stated in another reply, it's what GCC calls PowerPC.

More exactly, the GCC backend source code for Power still lives in
config/rs6000/.  Since we usually say Power these days (not PowerPC),
and the bareword "power" would be confusing, there isn't very much
benefit to renaming it (just cost).  It also is nice that when people
say "rs6000" you know they are talking about the GCC port, not something
else PowerPC :-)

> There are lots of
> references to rs/6000 in the GCC manual, do you think they should all be
> deleted? (The answer is no, they shouldn't).

Since I removed the RIOS (the processor in RS/6000 machines) support
quite some time ago now, yes, updating the manuals with more up-to-date
examples would be useful.  But only if this is *correct*.  Simply
deleting everything RS/6000 is just loss.

Segher