RE: making double type default to 80 or 128 bytes

I think you mean 80 or 128 bits, surely?

> Is it possible to modify the gcc compiler so that recompiling existing code and
> libraries will produce longer doubles (80 or 128 bytes) without having to re-
> declare all the double types.  This may be a stupid question but I'm looking
> for a quick fix to see if extra precision helps with an optimization problem.

This is not a quick fix. It's way more work than changing declarations in any reasonable-size program.

--
John Dallman
Nullius in verba

Siemens Industry Software Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 3476850.
Registered office: Faraday House, Sir William Siemens Square, Frimley, Surrey, GU16 8QD.