multiple installed versions of gcc -- automatically set rpath ??

I have the base gcc that came with my distro and i'd like to have the
option of using a newer version without replacing the older one.

I'd like to install the newer version in a different path, like /opt.

I run into a problem though when compiling with the newer version in
/opt, it links against the libstdc++ in /opt, but at runtime the
executable tries to link with the systems version in /usr/lib.

Is there a way to have the gcc in /opt automatically set the rpath
when linking so that executables can run against the /opt libstdc++?