AW: gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Florian,

> * Jochen via Gcc-help Keil:
>
> > However, upon closer inspection of the GCC sources I found that the
> > files in the `libcc1` and `libcpp` folders do only carry the licensing
> > terms of GPL-3.0+ without any mention of the Runtime Exception. Is it
> > still valid to use those libraries with statically linked proprietary
> > code?
>
> You will ask your own lawyer for a definite answer.
>
> The intent is that libcc1 and libcpp can only used from programs which are
> free software, regardless of how the program is linked.

Thanks for your answer!

For clarification, I was wondering if the license terms in `COPYING.RUNTIME` from the GCC distribution tarball root directory also apply to the `libcc1` and `libcpp` sub-directories.

There are other directories where the files explicitly state the Runtime Exception in addition to the GPL-3.0+ license. But given the files for `libcc1` and `libcpp` we are not sure what the scope and purpose of the `COPYING.RUNTIME` file is. I don't think our lawyer can help with that question. 😊

Thank you very much,

  Jochen