Plugin access to Variable scopes

I've been trying to write a plugin for GCC to act as a harness for a code synthesis system, and am having trouble with extracting the scope of variable declaration nodes from the AST.
Is it the case that variable scope is implicit based on the declarations position on the tree, or is it a defined property of the declaration node? If so how would be best to go about accessing the property?

Note:
I'm currently running the plugin on the PRE_GENERICIZE event as the target Language is C

Thanks for any help.