Re: Building arm-none-eabi Toolchain

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 11:02 AM Sid Spry <sid@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This is not part of the standard build process, and you need to do
> > this manually in your build script. You are building newlib twice,
> > and then renaming files so you can combine two newlib builds into one
> > newlib install tree.
> >

> So, not entirely directed at you, but the next sentence is -- for how many targets do there exists these instructions which are not part of the main source tree? My next goal is to build for the RISC-V targets. I'd like to encapsulate any configuration into modules of the script I am making. What is configurable, and is this written down? Some fair bit of it does seem to be in the ./configure help output, but then some of it isn't.

This problem is newlib nano specific.  The regular build process
buijlds newlib once.  If you want to build it twice and combine them,
building both regular newlib and newlib nano, then you need a special
script to combine two newlib install trees into one.  I know that ARM
and RISC-V Foundation distribute toolchains that work this way.  I
don't know if anyone else is doing this.  You don't necessarily have
to do toolchain builds the same way.  Only if you want to copy what
ARM and RISC-V are doing.  It is possible that there might be better
and/or simpler ways to handle the two newlibs; I don't know if anyone
has looked into this.  When I did the RISC-V newlib nano support, I
just roughly followed the same implementation strategy that ARM used.

Jim