Re: GPLv3 runtime exception : libstdc++

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 at 10:57, Florian Weimer wrote:

> * emile fortes:
>
> > Does the gplv3 exception allows us to use libstdc++ in proprietary
> > software , WHITOUT having to "...provide whatever information or
> > data necessary to install modified software on the device..."
>
> This depends on what your software does, and what kind of contractual
> arrangements you have with the recipients of your software.

And what you mean by "use libstdc++ in proprietary software".

I don't see how the runtime exception is relevant to installing
modified GPLv3 software on a device though. If your software is
proprietary, then it's not covered by the GPLv3, so is not covered by
the anti-tivoization clause.

> You need
> to hire your own lawyer for advice.

And read https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception-3.1-faq.en.html if
you haven't done so already.

The exception means you can use GCC to compile proprietary C++ code.
Software covered by the GPLv3 is still covered by the GPLv3.