Re: [AArch64][Spec2017]Question about mlow-precision-div optimization.

Wilco Dijkstra <Wilco.Dijkstra@xxxxxxx> writes:
>> And do you think it worth us providing a parameter to alter the iteration so that the
>> accuracy can be a trade-off of speed.
>
> What do you mean? We already have -mlow-precision-div (and -sqrt/-recip-sqrt).

The suggestion was to have a parameter to control the number of steps,
rather than always use the values that are currently hard-coded into
aarch64.c.

That sounds OK in principle.  It would fix one of the downsides of the
current code, in which users can force reciprocal approximation to be
used at low precision, but can't force it to be used at the precisions
normally chosen by -mtune.

It's probably not worth promoting to a full -m option that in theory
would be supported for evermore.  But now that targets can define their
own --params, it might make sense to use --params here.

Thanks,
Richard