Re: Difference between --target=i386 and i686

On 2020-02-21 23:08, Jim Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 9:38 AM J.W. Jagersma <jwjagersma@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Besides the performance loss, i386 doesn't have cmpxchg which means
>>> atomic support will be a problem.  Otherwise, it will probably work.
>>
>> I did notice that using i386, my program doesn't link at -O0 due to
>> undefined references to __atomic_* builtins. Somehow it works at -O1
>> and above. It seems the only atomic operations I use are compiled to
>> 'lock add/sub' instructions.
>
> Atomics are probably inline expanded with optimization.  There is a
> libatomic library you can link with, -latomic, that should implement
> all atomics that aren't inline expanded.  But I'm not sure exactly how
> this works with a i386 toolchain given that cmpxchg is missing.
>
> Jim

It seems libatomic is not available on x86, configure says the target
is unsupported.
I suppose on a single 386 (do 386 SMP systems even exist?) you could
emulate any atomic operation just by disabling interrupts. Except
maybe for memory-mapped devices where you do need a single
instruction. So far I haven't needed that yet, anyway.