Re: GCC 7 on ppc64le does not recognize vec_xl_be?

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 06:29:28PM +0000, Richard Sandiford wrote:
> Yeah, I think that's a good point.  E.g.:
>
>    https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/AArch64-Options.html#AArch64-Options
>
> gives no indication which version it's about,

Yes.  Although it is one click away ("contents", needs some scrolling as
well, alas).

> or how to find the corresponding page for older versions.

This is exactly the same as with a physical book, and with any other
documentation.  I would hope people who use GCC would have learned how
to use documentation.

> It might be obvious to GCC
> developers that it's about trunk only, but I don't think it's
> reasonable to expect someone nativigating directly to the page
> from search results to know that.

Yes, it would be nice if it said the GCC version number in the
navigation bar.

> The "Introduction" section with the version is at the bottom of
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/, after a long table of contents.
> It's not even the first sentence in the introduction.

It is the second.  The first line says what this manual is:

  This manual documents how to use the GNU compilers, as well as their
  features and incompatibilities, and how to report bugs.  It corresponds
  to the compilers (GCC) version 10.0.0.

(That identification looks a bit funny as well btw).

> It would be great if we could have a banner at the top of the generated
> docs saying which version they're for and providing corresponding links
> to older versions.  But that's obviously much easier said than done. :-)

Links to older versions is hard to do, and will take up much too much
screen real estate anyway.  But maybe we could have a link to
  https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/
somewhere?

Segher