Re: GCC 7 on ppc64le does not recognize vec_xl_be?

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 11:23:33PM +0800, Xi Ruoyao wrote:
> On 2019-11-16 08:26 -0600, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > You should have warnings enabled *always*.  It does not take extra
> > time,
> > not measurable anyway.  The point is that the compiler will tell you
> > about likely errors you made, right after you made them, so it is
> > easy
> > to correct then, and a huge time saver.  And if the compiler think
> > that
> > something may be wrong, but it really all is perfectly fine, perhaps
> > the
> > code should be written in such a way that this is more clear.
>
> Regarding this, is it worth considering to make -Wall the default?
>
> Recently our team is training some freshmen to write programs in C/C++.
> They often make some bugs (invoking UB in some way) and puzzle
> themselves.  But we noticed that 90% of their bugs can be diagnosed by
> simply adding -Wall.

It will be very disruptive to all users who do *not* want -Wall (misguided
perhaps, but that's not the point), and to build systems (including those
that cannot be fixed, think compiling older software with a new compiler).
Not to mention the GCC testsuite itself...  Making that work should give
us some feel for how annoying changing the default is.

I agree it is a nicer default, but how do we get there without a lot of
pain?

Segher