Re: how to makeinfo the standalone texinfo source tarballs?

I've looked at the Makefile, but the autogen definitions and templates seem
to compile the info files in a way thats not transparent.

I hacked together a script that automatically creates the info manuals from
the standalone texinfo source tarballs at https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/ using
only makeinfo, _without_ the Makefiles included in the full gcc source:
https://github.com/xdavidliu/generate-gcc-info-manuals

So far I've only tested it on the 8.3 version manual.