Re: gcc on Sparc Solaris 8

but in Solaris 10 there are problems with X11 libraries.

 For example: XAllocColorCells is not working.

A very basic Xlib function is not working ??  Really ??

This ?

     Status XAllocColorCells(display, colormap, contig,
     plane_masks_return, nplanes,
                               pixels_return, npixels)
           Display *display;
           Colormap colormap;
           Bool contig;
           unsigned long plane_masks_return[];
           unsigned int nplanes;
           unsigned long pixels_return[];
           unsigned int npixels;

As for floating point numbers.

Floating point numbers exist in binary with a trivial format of a sign
bit and then some bits for an exponent and then lastly a string of bits
to represent the significand.  The significand ( or mantissa ) data also
has an implied leading bit of "1" for normal numbers.  How you choose to
print them out is entirely your business.

The Oracle Solaris 12.6 Developer tools are a free download and I do
suggest you look at them. I am fairly sure that support for Solaris in
gcc has been dropped as of last year. At least for Solaris 10. Sadly I have never seen Solaris 11 in the wild. Maybe that works and maybe it does not. Have you considered simply moving over to FreeBSD or even dare I say it Linux? I have heard in various places that this "Linux" thing works quite well and I have even seen it running neatly. Could be worth
a look. :) Just don't go lookng too closely for POSIX compliance or even
cross platform clean compiles.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC