Re: make static method find_reloads_address_1(...) extern accessible

On 9/30/19 6:17 AM, stefan@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've implemented LEGITIMIZE_RELOAD_ADDRESS and that implementation is
> calling find_reloads_address_1.
>
> My implementation adds double indirect addressing to the m68k target and
> since the use of an outer index register or offset depends on the use of an
> inner index register or offset, since only one index register and one offset
> is allowed per address. => The recursive reload implementation does not
> work. So the LEGITIMIZE_RELOAD_ADDRESS takes care of the whole address at
> once.
>
> How are the chances that a static method of reload is converted into an
> extern accessible method, if a patch would requires it?
If all you need is to make the routine visible, that may be OK.  THe
biggest worry is any data structures used by find_reloads_address_1 and
it's children and whether or not that data is valid.

The bigger concern I have is that we're on a path to drop reload and
instead use LRA.  So there's a good chance that the work you do in this
space doesn't have a significant lifetime -- doing it in LRA would be
better, at least in theory -- and at least one other port would like to
support double indirect addressing in LRA.

The natural question is whether or not m68k can use LRA instead of
reload.  That's predicated on converting the m68k from cc0 to MODE_CC
for representing the condition codes.  Nobody is currently signed up to
do this work and if nobody steps up, the m68k port will end up deprecated.

Jeff