Re: GCC 8.3.0, libatomic and text relocations

* Tom Kacvinsky:

> I have built GCC 8.3.0 on a RHEL 5 machine, using the build triplet
> i386-redhat-linux.  Since I chose i386 as the architecture, the
> resulting object code I have needs libatomic.

That seems an odd choice.  There is no supported Linux distribution
which still runs on an i386.  Are you really sure you need this?

You will be able to avoid this problem by moving to an i486 or later
baseline.  It also avoids most issues with the libatomic emulation in
libgcc, which is incompatible with many usage scenarios.

The lack of PIC compilation in your static libgcc appears to be a
problem with the way you built the compiler.  I do not think regular
builds suffer from this.