xgcc, ICE, and how to script -O changes

I'm building gcc 8.3.0 cross compiled for HPUX ia64 and I get a few
dozen ICEs in xgcc during the build.  For all of them, the ICE happens
at -O1 and -O2, but not at -O0 and -O3.  It's mostly libssp.c, all of
c++98, all of c++11, and a few other gcov-*.c files.  And libgomp, but
those ICE at every -O level, so I've just disabled it.

While it would be great if these could be fixed, I'm happy to just
compile these files at -O0 or -O3 if that allows things to work as-is.

My issue is that I'd like to be able to script this logic instead of
manually having to re-run xgcc or libtool with the extra-O flag on the
end.

I tried adding '#pragma GCC optimize "-O0"' to the top of the
respective .c files, but I still get the ICE.  It is my understanding
that the #pragma should override the command line option, is that
accurate?

I don't want to run the root-level configure and set everything to -O0
or -O3 as keeping with the defaults where possible usually has better
results in my experience, but if that's the best way to handle it, so
be it.

Is there any trick to get this working?  Can I run the configure
scripts for libstdc++ and such manually instead them being run as part
of 'make all'?  That would at least allow me to set CFLAGS for just
those libraries that need the change.