Re: std::cout breaks after nullptr

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 at 11:37, Xi Ruoyao wrote:

> On 2019-03-25 12:11 +0100, Marc Glisse wrote:
> > >
> > > That seems like a good idea.
> >
> > Note that IIRC the attribute is also used for optimization purposes.
> > Adding it would remove the test "if (!__s)". One could try and add the
> > attribute only for user code and not while compiling the library itself,
> > but that's getting complicated (_GLIBCXX_EXTERN_TEMPLATE, specializations
> > for types other than char, etc).
>
> Oh really.  I'd been misunderstanding "nonnull" as a pure diagnostic attribute
> for long time :(.

No, it's undefined to pass null as an argument marked with that attribute.

"Unless disabled by the -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks option the
compiler may also perform optimizations based on the knowledge that
certain function arguments cannot be null. In addition, the
-fisolate-erroneous-paths-attribute option can be specified to have
GCC transform calls with null arguments to non-null functions into
traps."