Is DWARF 5 supported in GCC 7+?

Hi -

The GCC 7 release notes state that "Version 5 of the DWARF debugging
information standard is supported":
https://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc-7/changes.html

However, the GCC 7 and GCC 8 docs still state that "DWARF Version 5 is
only experimental":

- https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-7.4.0/gcc/Debugging-Options.html#Debugging-Options
- https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-8.2.0/gcc/Debugging-Options.html#Debugging-Options

That language goes back as far as GCC 5 though:
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-5.4.0/gcc/Debugging-Options.html#Debugging-Options

This leaves me unsure whether DWARF 5 is supported in GCC 7 and 8, or
experimental. Could someone knowledgable please clarify whether DWARF
5 is really supported in GCC 8, in the sense that it is reasonable to
enable it when building binaries for production or release? The debug
info size savings I observe when enabling it are significant enough
that I'd really like to use it if possible.

Thank you,
Andrew