Re: Help to install the gcc compiler on Windows...I'm using a MacBook Pro (Bootcamp)

A similar subsystem on Windows exists since 1995: Cygwin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygwin

Cygwin has its own package manager system (ie. using a repository),
and gcc is available as a precompiled package, and it also allows X/GUI apps,
whereas WSL doesn't officially support running X/GUI apps.
This is from the WSL FAQ ( https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/faq ):
"
Can I run ALL Linux apps in WSL?

No! WSL is a tool aimed at enabling users who need them to run Bash and core Linux command-line tools on Windows.
WSL does not aim to support GUI desktops or applications (e.g. Gnome, KDE, etc.)
Also, even though you will be able to run many popular server applications (e.g. Redis), we do not recommend WSL for server scenarios – Microsoft offers a variety of solutions for running production Ubuntu workloads in Azure, Hyper-V, and Docker.
"

And: WSL is available only for Windows10. Cygwin works also on the previous
Windows versions (XP, Win7 etc.).

I personally would recommend to make a serious choice and use a native Linux distro
as then one can also use different kernel versions, and even compile the
newest kernel from www.kernel.org, use different desktops (LXDE, Gnomee, KDE, ...),
and can also use the whole thing as a server system...

Regarding gcc: in most distros it is already available by default, or can be installed precompiled from its repository.