GCC8

Private communication. If someone has clues/hints...Thanks in advance !!!

Hi.

I just have a new small laptop with N4200 proc. In the past I have one N3470.

With GCC , a couple of years ago,  I used the Linpack(Fortran) in single precision to have an idea of the proc capabilities.

I attached the Fortran source code. I downloaded GCC from this web page see http://www.equation.com/servlet/equation.cmd?fa=fortran

With the N3470, I was able to have more than 1 GigaFlops. (-O2, -O4...)  and there was a difference when you changed the level of optimisation.

I just tried it  with the N4200, same result with different levels of optimisation, benchmark around 300 Megaflops !!!

I was just expecting something a little above the N3470 !

Clues/Hints?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Jerome Huck.

      program main

c*********************************************************************72
c  Parameters:
c    N is the problem size.
      integer n
      parameter ( n = 1000 )
      integer lda
      parameter ( lda = n + 1 )

      real a(lda,n)
      real b(n)
      real cray
      real eps
      real epslon
      integer i
      integer info
      integer ipvt(n)
      real norma
      real normx
      real ops
      real resid
      real residn
      double precision t1
      double precision t2
      real time(6)
      real total
      real x(n)

      call timestamp ( )
      write ( *, '(a)' ) ' '
      write ( *, '(a)' ) 'LINPACK_BENCH_S'
      write ( *, '(a)' ) '  The LINPACK benchmark.'
      write ( *, '(a)' ) '  Language: FORTRAN77'
      write ( *, '(a)' ) '  Datatype: Real Single Precision'
      write ( *, '(a,i8)' ) '  Matrix order N =               ', n
      write ( *, '(a,i8)' ) '  Leading matrix dimension LDA = ', lda

      cray = .056
      ops = (2.0d0*float(n)**3)/3.0d0 + 2.0d0*float(n)**2

      call matgen(a,lda,n,b,norma)

         call cpu_time ( t1 )
         call sgefa(a,lda,n,ipvt,info)
         call cpu_time ( t2 )
         time(1) = t2 - t1

         call cpu_time ( t1 )
         call sgesl(a,lda,n,ipvt,b,0)
         call cpu_time ( t2 )
         time(2) = t2 - t1

         total = time(1) + time(2)
c  compute a residual to verify results.
         do i = 1,n
            x(i) = b(i)
         end do

         call matgen(a,lda,n,b,norma)

         do i = 1,n
            b(i) = -b(i)
         end do

         call smxpy(n,b,n,lda,x,a)

         resid = 0.0
         normx = 0.0
         do i = 1,n
            resid = max ( resid, abs(b(i)) )
            normx = max ( normx, abs(x(i)) )
         end do

         eps = epslon(1.0)
         residn = resid/( n*norma*normx*eps )
         write(6,40)
   40    format('     norm. resid      resid           machep',
     $          '         x(1)          x(n)')
         write(6,50) residn,resid,eps,x(1),x(n)
   50    format(1p5e16.8)

         write(6,70)
   70    format(6x,'factor',5x,'solve',6x,'total',5x,'mflops',7x,'unit',
     $         6x,'Cray-ratio')

         time(3) = total
         time(4) = ops/(1.0e6*total)
         time(5) = 2.0e0/time(4)
         time(6) = total/cray

         write(6,110) (time(i),i=1,6)
  110    format(6(1pe11.3))

      write ( *, '(a)' ) ' '
      write ( *, '(a)' ) 'LINPACK_BENCH_S'
      write ( *, '(a)' ) '  Normal end of execution.'

      write ( *, '(a)' ) ' '
      call timestamp ( )

      stop
      end
      subroutine matgen(a,lda,n,b,norma)

c*********************************************************************72
      integer lda,n,i,j,init(4)
      real a(lda,1),b(1),norma
      real random_value

      init(1) = 1
      init(2) = 2
      init(3) = 3
      init(4) = 1325
      norma = 0.0
      do 30 j = 1,n
         do 20 i = 1,n
            a(i,j) = random_value(init) - .5
            norma = amax1(abs(a(i,j)), norma)
   20    continue
   30 continue
      do 35 i = 1,n
          b(i) = 0.0
   35 continue
      do 50 j = 1,n
         do 40 i = 1,n
            b(i) = b(i) + a(i,j)
   40    continue
   50 continue
      return
      end
      subroutine sgefa(a,lda,n,ipvt,info)

c*********************************************************************72
      integer lda,n,ipvt(1),info
      real a(lda,1)
c     sgefa factors a real matrix by gaussian elimination.
c     sgefa is usually called by dgeco, but it can be called
c     directly with a saving in time if  rcond  is not needed.
c     (time for dgeco) = (1 + 9/n)*(time for sgefa) .
c     on entry
c        a       real(lda, n)
c                the matrix to be factored.
c        lda     integer
c                the leading dimension of the array  a .
c        n       integer
c                the order of the matrix  a .
c     on return
c        a       an upper triangular matrix and the multipliers
c                which were used to obtain it.
c                the factorization can be written  a = l*u  where
c                l  is a product of permutation and unit lower
c                triangular matrices and  u  is upper triangular.
c        ipvt    integer(n)
c                an integer vector of pivot indices.
c        info    integer
c                = 0  normal value.
c                = k  if  u(k,k) .eq. 0.0 .  this is not an error
c                     condition for this subroutine, but it does
c                     indicate that sgesl or dgedi will divide by zero
c                     if called.  use  rcond  in dgeco for a reliable
c                     indication of singularity.
c     linpack. this version dated 08/14/78 .
c     cleve moler, university of new mexico, argonne national lab.
c     subroutines and functions
c     blas saxpy,sscal,isamax
c     internal variables
      real t
      integer isamax,j,k,kp1,l,nm1
c     gaussian elimination with partial pivoting
      info = 0
      nm1 = n - 1
      if (nm1 .lt. 1) go to 70
      do 60 k = 1, nm1
         kp1 = k + 1
c        find l = pivot index
         l = isamax(n-k+1,a(k,k),1) + k - 1
         ipvt(k) = l
c        zero pivot implies this column already triangularized
         if (a(l,k) .eq. 0.0e0) go to 40
c           interchange if necessary
            if (l .eq. k) go to 10
               t = a(l,k)
               a(l,k) = a(k,k)
               a(k,k) = t
   10       continue
c           compute multipliers
            t = -1.0e0/a(k,k)
            call sscal(n-k,t,a(k+1,k),1)
c           row elimination with column indexing
            do 30 j = kp1, n
               t = a(l,j)
               if (l .eq. k) go to 20
                  a(l,j) = a(k,j)
                  a(k,j) = t
   20          continue
               call saxpy(n-k,t,a(k+1,k),1,a(k+1,j),1)
   30       continue
         go to 50
   40    continue
            info = k
   50    continue
   60 continue
   70 continue
      ipvt(n) = n
      if (a(n,n) .eq. 0.0e0) info = n
      return
      end
      subroutine sgesl(a,lda,n,ipvt,b,job)

c*********************************************************************72
      integer lda,n,ipvt(1),job
      real a(lda,1),b(1)
c     sgesl solves the real system
c     a * x = b  or  trans(a) * x = b
c     using the factors computed by dgeco or sgefa.
c     on entry
c        a       real(lda, n)
c                the output from dgeco or sgefa.
c        lda     integer
c                the leading dimension of the array  a .
c        n       integer
c                the order of the matrix  a .
c        ipvt    integer(n)
c                the pivot vector from dgeco or sgefa.
c        b       real(n)
c                the right hand side vector.
c        job     integer
c                = 0         to solve  a*x = b ,
c                = nonzero   to solve  trans(a)*x = b  where
c                            trans(a)  is the transpose.
c     on return
c        b       the solution vector  x .
c     error condition
c        a division by zero will occur if the input factor contains a
c        zero on the diagonal.  technically this indicates singularity
c        but it is often caused by improper arguments or improper
c        setting of lda .  it will not occur if the subroutines are
c        called correctly and if dgeco has set rcond .gt. 0.0
c        or sgefa has set info .eq. 0 .
c     to compute  inverse(a) * c  where  c  is a matrix
c     with  p  columns
c           call dgeco(a,lda,n,ipvt,rcond,z)
c           if (rcond is too small) go to ...
c           do 10 j = 1, p
c              call sgesl(a,lda,n,ipvt,c(1,j),0)
c        10 continue
c     linpack. this version dated 08/14/78 .
c     cleve moler, university of new mexico, argonne national lab.
c     subroutines and functions
c     blas saxpy,sdot
c     internal variables
      real sdot,t
      integer k,kb,l,nm1
      nm1 = n - 1
      if (job .ne. 0) go to 50
c        job = 0 , solve  a * x = b
c        first solve  l*y = b
         if (nm1 .lt. 1) go to 30
         do 20 k = 1, nm1
            l = ipvt(k)
            t = b(l)
            if (l .eq. k) go to 10
               b(l) = b(k)
               b(k) = t
   10       continue
            call saxpy(n-k,t,a(k+1,k),1,b(k+1),1)
   20    continue
   30    continue
c        now solve  u*x = y
         do 40 kb = 1, n
            k = n + 1 - kb
            b(k) = b(k)/a(k,k)
            t = -b(k)
            call saxpy(k-1,t,a(1,k),1,b(1),1)
   40    continue
      go to 100
   50 continue
c        job = nonzero, solve  trans(a) * x = b
c        first solve  trans(u)*y = b
         do 60 k = 1, n
            t = sdot(k-1,a(1,k),1,b(1),1)
            b(k) = (b(k) - t)/a(k,k)
   60    continue
c        now solve trans(l)*x = y
         if (nm1 .lt. 1) go to 90
         do 80 kb = 1, nm1
            k = n - kb
            b(k) = b(k) + sdot(n-k,a(k+1,k),1,b(k+1),1)
            l = ipvt(k)
            if (l .eq. k) go to 70
               t = b(l)
               b(l) = b(k)
               b(k) = t
   70       continue
   80    continue
   90    continue
  100 continue
      return
      end
      subroutine saxpy(n,da,dx,incx,dy,incy)

c*********************************************************************72
c     constant times a vector plus a vector.
c     uses unrolled loops for increments equal to one.
c     jack dongarra, linpack, 3/11/78.
      real dx(1),dy(1),da
      integer i,incx,incy,ix,iy,m,mp1,n
      if(n.le.0)return
      if (da .eq. 0.0e0) return
      if(incx.eq.1.and.incy.eq.1)go to 20
c        code for unequal increments or equal increments
c          not equal to 1
      ix = 1
      iy = 1
      if(incx.lt.0)ix = (-n+1)*incx + 1
      if(incy.lt.0)iy = (-n+1)*incy + 1
      do 10 i = 1,n
        dy(iy) = dy(iy) + da*dx(ix)
        ix = ix + incx
        iy = iy + incy
   10 continue
      return
c        code for both increments equal to 1
c        clean-up loop
   20 m = mod(n,4)
      if( m .eq. 0 ) go to 40
      do 30 i = 1,m
        dy(i) = dy(i) + da*dx(i)
   30 continue
      if( n .lt. 4 ) return
   40 mp1 = m + 1
      do 50 i = mp1,n,4
        dy(i) = dy(i) + da*dx(i)
        dy(i + 1) = dy(i + 1) + da*dx(i + 1)
        dy(i + 2) = dy(i + 2) + da*dx(i + 2)
        dy(i + 3) = dy(i + 3) + da*dx(i + 3)
   50 continue
      return
      end
      real function sdot(n,dx,incx,dy,incy)

c*********************************************************************72
c     forms the dot product of two vectors.
c     uses unrolled loops for increments equal to one.
c     jack dongarra, linpack, 3/11/78.
      real dx(1),dy(1),dtemp
      integer i,incx,incy,ix,iy,m,mp1,n
      sdot = 0.0e0
      dtemp = 0.0e0
      if(n.le.0)return
      if(incx.eq.1.and.incy.eq.1)go to 20
c        code for unequal increments or equal increments
c          not equal to 1
      ix = 1
      iy = 1
      if(incx.lt.0)ix = (-n+1)*incx + 1
      if(incy.lt.0)iy = (-n+1)*incy + 1
      do 10 i = 1,n
        dtemp = dtemp + dx(ix)*dy(iy)
        ix = ix + incx
        iy = iy + incy
   10 continue
      sdot = dtemp
      return
c        code for both increments equal to 1
c        clean-up loop
   20 m = mod(n,5)
      if( m .eq. 0 ) go to 40
      do 30 i = 1,m
        dtemp = dtemp + dx(i)*dy(i)
   30 continue
      if( n .lt. 5 ) go to 60
   40 mp1 = m + 1
      do 50 i = mp1,n,5
        dtemp = dtemp + dx(i)*dy(i) + dx(i + 1)*dy(i + 1) +
     *   dx(i + 2)*dy(i + 2) + dx(i + 3)*dy(i + 3) + dx(i + 4)*dy(i + 4)
   50 continue
   60 sdot = dtemp
      return
      end
      subroutine  sscal(n,da,dx,incx)

c*********************************************************************72
c     scales a vector by a constant.
c     uses unrolled loops for increment equal to one.
c     jack dongarra, linpack, 3/11/78.
      real da,dx(1)
      integer i,incx,m,mp1,n,nincx
      if(n.le.0)return
      if(incx.eq.1)go to 20
c        code for increment not equal to 1
      nincx = n*incx
      do 10 i = 1,nincx,incx
        dx(i) = da*dx(i)
   10 continue
      return
c        code for increment equal to 1
c        clean-up loop
   20 m = mod(n,5)
      if( m .eq. 0 ) go to 40
      do 30 i = 1,m
        dx(i) = da*dx(i)
   30 continue
      if( n .lt. 5 ) return
   40 mp1 = m + 1
      do 50 i = mp1,n,5
        dx(i) = da*dx(i)
        dx(i + 1) = da*dx(i + 1)
        dx(i + 2) = da*dx(i + 2)
        dx(i + 3) = da*dx(i + 3)
        dx(i + 4) = da*dx(i + 4)
   50 continue
      return
      end
      integer function isamax(n,dx,incx)

c*********************************************************************72
c     finds the index of element having max. absolute value.
c     jack dongarra, linpack, 3/11/78.
      real dx(1),dmax
      integer i,incx,ix,n
      isamax = 0
      if( n .lt. 1 ) return
      isamax = 1
      if(n.eq.1)return
      if(incx.eq.1)go to 20
c        code for increment not equal to 1
      ix = 1
      dmax = abs(dx(1))
      ix = ix + incx
      do 10 i = 2,n
         if(abs(dx(ix)).le.dmax) go to 5
         isamax = i
         dmax = abs(dx(ix))
    5    ix = ix + incx
   10 continue
      return
c        code for increment equal to 1
   20 dmax = abs(dx(1))
      do 30 i = 2,n
         if(abs(dx(i)).le.dmax) go to 30
         isamax = i
         dmax = abs(dx(i))
   30 continue
      return
      end
      REAL FUNCTION EPSLON (X)

c*********************************************************************72
      REAL X
C     ESTIMATE UNIT ROUNDOFF IN QUANTITIES OF SIZE X.
      REAL A,B,C,EPS
C     THIS PROGRAM SHOULD FUNCTION PROPERLY ON ALL SYSTEMS
C     SATISFYING THE FOLLOWING TWO ASSUMPTIONS,
C        1.  THE BASE USED IN REPRESENTING FLOATING POINT
C            NUMBERS IS NOT A POWER OF THREE.
C        2.  THE QUANTITY  A  IN STATEMENT 10 IS REPRESENTED TO
C            THE ACCURACY USED IN FLOATING POINT VARIABLES
C            THAT ARE STORED IN MEMORY.
C     THE STATEMENT NUMBER 10 AND THE GO TO 10 ARE INTENDED TO
C     FORCE OPTIMIZING COMPILERS TO GENERATE CODE SATISFYING
C     ASSUMPTION 2.
C     UNDER THESE ASSUMPTIONS, IT SHOULD BE TRUE THAT,
C            A  IS NOT EXACTLY EQUAL TO FOUR-THIRDS,
C            B  HAS A ZERO FOR ITS LAST BIT OR DIGIT,
C            C  IS NOT EXACTLY EQUAL TO ONE,
C            EPS  MEASURES THE SEPARATION OF 1.0 FROM
C                 THE NEXT LARGER FLOATING POINT NUMBER.
C     THE DEVELOPERS OF EISPACK WOULD APPRECIATE BEING INFORMED
C     ABOUT ANY SYSTEMS WHERE THESE ASSUMPTIONS DO NOT HOLD.
C     *****************************************************************
C     THIS ROUTINE IS ONE OF THE AUXILIARY ROUTINES USED BY EISPACK III
C     TO AVOID MACHINE DEPENDENCIES.
C     *****************************************************************
C     THIS VERSION DATED 4/6/83.
      A = 4.0E0/3.0E0
   10 B = A - 1.0E0
      C = B + B + B
      EPS = ABS(C-1.0E0)
      IF (EPS .EQ. 0.0E0) GO TO 10
      EPSLON = EPS*ABS(X)
      RETURN
      END
      SUBROUTINE MM (A, LDA, N1, N3, B, LDB, N2, C, LDC)

c*********************************************************************72
      REAL A(LDA,*), B(LDB,*), C(LDC,*)
C   PURPOSE:
C     MULTIPLY MATRIX B TIMES MATRIX C AND STORE THE RESULT IN MATRIX A.
C   PARAMETERS:
C     A REAL(LDA,N3), MATRIX OF N1 ROWS AND N3 COLUMNS
C     LDA INTEGER, LEADING DIMENSION OF ARRAY A
C     N1 INTEGER, NUMBER OF ROWS IN MATRICES A AND B
C     N3 INTEGER, NUMBER OF COLUMNS IN MATRICES A AND C
C     B REAL(LDB,N2), MATRIX OF N1 ROWS AND N2 COLUMNS
C     LDB INTEGER, LEADING DIMENSION OF ARRAY B
C     N2 INTEGER, NUMBER OF COLUMNS IN MATRIX B, AND NUMBER OF ROWS IN
C         MATRIX C
C     C REAL(LDC,N3), MATRIX OF N2 ROWS AND N3 COLUMNS
C     LDC INTEGER, LEADING DIMENSION OF ARRAY C
C ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      DO 20 J = 1, N3
         DO 10 I = 1, N1
            A(I,J) = 0.0
   10    CONTINUE
         CALL SMXPY (N2,A(1,J),N1,LDB,C(1,J),B)
   20 CONTINUE
      RETURN
      END
      SUBROUTINE SMXPY (N1, Y, N2, LDM, X, M)

c*********************************************************************72
      REAL Y(*), X(*), M(LDM,*)
C   PURPOSE:
C     MULTIPLY MATRIX M TIMES VECTOR X AND ADD THE RESULT TO VECTOR Y.
C   PARAMETERS:
C     N1 INTEGER, NUMBER OF ELEMENTS IN VECTOR Y, AND NUMBER OF ROWS IN
C         MATRIX M
C     Y REAL(N1), VECTOR OF LENGTH N1 TO WHICH IS ADDED THE PRODUCT M*X
C     N2 INTEGER, NUMBER OF ELEMENTS IN VECTOR X, AND NUMBER OF COLUMNS
C         IN MATRIX M
C     LDM INTEGER, LEADING DIMENSION OF ARRAY M
C     X REAL(N2), VECTOR OF LENGTH N2
C     M REAL(LDM,N2), MATRIX OF N1 ROWS AND N2 COLUMNS
C   CLEANUP ODD VECTOR
      J = MOD(N2,2)
      IF (J .GE. 1) THEN
         DO 10 I = 1, N1
            Y(I) = (Y(I)) + X(J)*M(I,J)
   10    CONTINUE
      ENDIF
C   CLEANUP ODD GROUP OF TWO VECTORS
      J = MOD(N2,4)
      IF (J .GE. 2) THEN
         DO 20 I = 1, N1
            Y(I) = ( (Y(I))
     $             + X(J-1)*M(I,J-1)) + X(J)*M(I,J)
   20    CONTINUE
      ENDIF
C   CLEANUP ODD GROUP OF FOUR VECTORS
      J = MOD(N2,8)
      IF (J .GE. 4) THEN
         DO 30 I = 1, N1
            Y(I) = ((( (Y(I))
     $             + X(J-3)*M(I,J-3)) + X(J-2)*M(I,J-2))
     $             + X(J-1)*M(I,J-1)) + X(J)  *M(I,J)
   30    CONTINUE
      ENDIF
C   CLEANUP ODD GROUP OF EIGHT VECTORS
      J = MOD(N2,16)
      IF (J .GE. 8) THEN
         DO 40 I = 1, N1
            Y(I) = ((((((( (Y(I))
     $             + X(J-7)*M(I,J-7)) + X(J-6)*M(I,J-6))
     $             + X(J-5)*M(I,J-5)) + X(J-4)*M(I,J-4))
     $             + X(J-3)*M(I,J-3)) + X(J-2)*M(I,J-2))
     $             + X(J-1)*M(I,J-1)) + X(J)  *M(I,J)
   40    CONTINUE
      ENDIF
C   MAIN LOOP - GROUPS OF SIXTEEN VECTORS
      JMIN = J+16
      DO 60 J = JMIN, N2, 16
         DO 50 I = 1, N1
            Y(I) = ((((((((((((((( (Y(I))
     $             + X(J-15)*M(I,J-15)) + X(J-14)*M(I,J-14))
     $             + X(J-13)*M(I,J-13)) + X(J-12)*M(I,J-12))
     $             + X(J-11)*M(I,J-11)) + X(J-10)*M(I,J-10))
     $             + X(J- 9)*M(I,J- 9)) + X(J- 8)*M(I,J- 8))
     $             + X(J- 7)*M(I,J- 7)) + X(J- 6)*M(I,J- 6))
     $             + X(J- 5)*M(I,J- 5)) + X(J- 4)*M(I,J- 4))
     $             + X(J- 3)*M(I,J- 3)) + X(J- 2)*M(I,J- 2))
     $             + X(J- 1)*M(I,J- 1)) + X(J)   *M(I,J)
   50    CONTINUE
   60 CONTINUE
      RETURN
      END
      REAL FUNCTION RANDOM_VALUE( ISEED )

c*********************************************************************72
c     modified from the LAPACK auxiliary routine 10/12/92 JD
c  -- LAPACK auxiliary routine (version 1.0) --
c     Univ. of Tennessee, Univ. of California Berkeley, NAG Ltd.,
c     Courant Institute, Argonne National Lab, and Rice University
c     February 29, 1992
c     .. Array Arguments ..
      INTEGER            ISEED( 4 )
c     ..
c  Purpose
c  =======
c  SLARAN returns a random real number from a uniform (0,1)
c  distribution.
c  Arguments
c  =========
c  ISEED   (input/output) INTEGER array, dimension (4)
c          On entry, the seed of the random number generator; the array
c          elements must be between 0 and 4095, and ISEED(4) must be
c          odd.
c          On exit, the seed is updated.
c  Further Details
c  ===============
c  This routine uses a multiplicative congruential method with modulus
c  2**48 and multiplier 33952834046453 (see G.S.Fishman,
c  'Multiplicative congruential random number generators with modulus
c  2**b: an exhaustive analysis for b = 32 and a partial analysis for
c  b = 48', Math. Comp. 189, pp 331-344, 1990).
c  48-bit integers are stored in 4 integer array elements with 12 bits
c  per element. Hence the routine is portable across machines with
c  integers of 32 bits or more.
c     .. Parameters ..
      INTEGER            M1, M2, M3, M4
      PARAMETER          ( M1 = 494, M2 = 322, M3 = 2508, M4 = 2549 )
      REAL               ONE
      PARAMETER          ( ONE = 1.0E+0 )
      INTEGER            IPW2
      REAL               R
      PARAMETER          ( IPW2 = 4096, R = ONE / IPW2 )
c     ..
c     .. Local Scalars ..
      INTEGER            IT1, IT2, IT3, IT4
c     ..
c     .. Intrinsic Functions ..
      INTRINSIC          MOD, REAL
c     ..
c     .. Executable Statements ..
c     multiply the seed by the multiplier modulo 2**48
      IT4 = ISEED( 4 )*M4
      IT3 = IT4 / IPW2
      IT4 = IT4 - IPW2*IT3
      IT3 = IT3 + ISEED( 3 )*M4 + ISEED( 4 )*M3
      IT2 = IT3 / IPW2
      IT3 = IT3 - IPW2*IT2
      IT2 = IT2 + ISEED( 2 )*M4 + ISEED( 3 )*M3 + ISEED( 4 )*M2
      IT1 = IT2 / IPW2
      IT2 = IT2 - IPW2*IT1
      IT1 = IT1 + ISEED( 1 )*M4 + ISEED( 2 )*M3 + ISEED( 3 )*M2 +
     $      ISEED( 4 )*M1
      IT1 = MOD( IT1, IPW2 )
c     return updated seed
      ISEED( 1 ) = IT1
      ISEED( 2 ) = IT2
      ISEED( 3 ) = IT3
      ISEED( 4 ) = IT4
c     convert 48-bit integer to a real number in the interval (0,1)
      RANDOM_VALUE = R*( REAL( IT1 )+R*( REAL( IT2 )+R*( REAL( IT3 )
     &  +R*( REAL( IT4 ) ) ) ) )
      RETURN
      END
      subroutine timestamp ( )

c*********************************************************************72
cc TIMESTAMP prints out the current YMDHMS date as a timestamp.
c  Discussion:
c    This FORTRAN77 version is made available for cases where the
c    FORTRAN90 version cannot be used.
c  Modified:
c    12 January 2007
c  Author:
c    John Burkardt
c  Parameters:
c    None
      implicit none

      character * ( 8 ) ampm
      integer d
      character * ( 8 ) date
      integer h
      integer m
      integer mm
      character * ( 9 ) month(12)
      integer n
      integer s
      character * ( 10 ) time
      integer y

      save month

      data month /
     &  'January  ', 'February ', 'March    ', 'April    ',
     &  'May      ', 'June     ', 'July     ', 'August   ',
     &  'September', 'October  ', 'November ', 'December ' /

      call date_and_time ( date, time )

      read ( date, '(i4,i2,i2)' ) y, m, d
      read ( time, '(i2,i2,i2,1x,i3)' ) h, n, s, mm

      if ( h .lt. 12 ) then
        ampm = 'AM'
      else if ( h .eq. 12 ) then
        if ( n .eq. 0 .and. s .eq. 0 ) then
          ampm = 'Noon'
        else
          ampm = 'PM'
        end if
      else
        h = h - 12
        if ( h .lt. 12 ) then
          ampm = 'PM'
        else if ( h .eq. 12 ) then
          if ( n .eq. 0 .and. s .eq. 0 ) then
            ampm = 'Midnight'
          else
            ampm = 'AM'
          end if
        end if
      end if

      write ( *,
     &  '(i2,1x,a,1x,i4,2x,i2,a1,i2.2,a1,i2.2,a1,i3.3,1x,a)' )
     &  d, month(m), y, h, ':', n, ':', s, '.', mm, ampm

      return
      end