Re: GCC 8.1: Assembler error with lambda default argument

On Mon, 2018-05-14 at 12:10 +0100, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 13 May 2018 at 22:18, Paul Smith wrote:
> > This worked fine with GCC 6.x and 7.x, but in 8.1 I get an error
> > from the assembler (not compiler):
>
> Please report a bug with a complete testcase.

Unlike my other attempt, this one has stymied my efforts to reduce to a
small test case.  Part of the problem is that I don't understand what
the assembler is trying to tell me so I can't figure out how to come up
with a small example from scratch.  I also am not familiar enough with
this area of our code to be able to decide how to drop large sections
of things.

I have created a .cpp file which embeds all our headers (so it
#includes only standard C and C++ headers).  I stripped out a few
small-ish things but most of the time if I try to make any changes to
the function in question the issue goes away.

This .cpp file is about 27,000 lines long (it includes some ICU stuff,
etc. which is huge... plus a lot of our other headers... the actual
source file and its header together is only 600 lines combined!)

Because it's our proprietary code I can't publish it on the bug
tracker.  However, I probably can get permission to provide it
privately to someone on the GCC team if they wanted to take a look at
it.

I could probably also provide the .s file (which does show the error
when I assemble it) if that would be at all useful but it doesn't seem
likely since the problem has already occurred at that point.  The
assembly file is less than 8000 lines :).