Re: compiled programs significantly slower after upgrading

On 18/04/18 05:28 PM, Jack Stalnaker wrote:
I upgraded gcc from 4.8.2 to 7.3.0. I also upgraded binutils to 2.30 (from
the default installed on scientific linux 5).

Unfortunately, the executable I get is now 5 times slower consistently. I
have changed nothing about the code itself. I have not changed any
compilation options either. I'm honestly shocked by such a dramatic
slowdown. Has something changed significantly between these two versions?

I realize I haven't given any information about the code itself (it's a mix
of fortran and c), but the important thing is the significant slowdown when
only the compilation chain has changed.

Can anyone give me any insight as to what might be happening or how to
address it?

With no code at all to consider ?  Not likely.   Take a look at your
optimization options and your settings for "march/mtune" etc in case
you had those.  Look at the actual online manual for 7.3.0 and check
your options as a LOT has changed and a lot deprecated.

Dennis