Re: How to install GCC

On 13/02/18 12:22 PM, Mehrdad Tavassoli S225061 wrote:
Hello,

It is almost impossible to install GCC and it's ridiculously complicated

Firstly, yes, you are correct. Also quite wrong. I don't blame you for
your frustration but I do blame you for your tone.

So trying to install GCC from the source code is partly black magic and
mostly a lot of experience dealing with it on various platforms. Most of
the people that work with GCC on a daily basis don't really have the
vast amount of time it takes to hand hold a new person that has never
ever tried before. So if you wander in throwing stones and stomping your
feet then don't expect a headlong rush from people to help you.

Having said all that, people have faced this problem before and the
popular opinion from other sources is don't do that.  I see others have
run into your os of choice and they are stuck with clang. It is not at
all easy to get gcc onto that machine.  Even if you do there is opinion
that gcc can not be used to build native macOS applications.

Dennis Clarke

ps: been bootstrapping gcc for maybe twenty years and it still
      makes life hell on some platforms.