checking that the GCC8 compiler is working correctly in Debian Sid

Dear All,

I am running debian unstable on an amd64 kaveri box.

I recently installed GCC 8 from the Debian experimental site:

https://packages.debian.org/experimental/devel/gcc-8

I also installed libelf-dev.

It did run correctly without it.

I have been using it to try to compile and install linux kernel 4.14.15
using the
debian package make-kpkg.

The output from doing this is here:

https://pastebin.com/sgrhdCKW

I copied over the config file from/boot and ran make-clean and the
command:  yes "" | make oldconfig before running make-kpkg.

Kernel compilations I do in gentoo usually take a while.

This ran too quickly I think.

Something is not quite right here.

Perhaps some more depedent packages needed to be installed to make GCC8 run
happily.

Do you have a test file I can compile that will check whether GCC 8 is
really running correctly?

The discussions on these two threads are relevant:

We are all trying to compile kernels that defeat the meltdown and spectre
vulnerabilities.

Comments appreciated.

Regards

Michael Fothergill