Re: Build fail for 7.3.0 with in-tree binutils

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm somewhat hamstrung insasmuch as I support
both Compiler Explorer and my company's GCC distribution. An in-tree
binutils allows me to ship both GCC and binutils together easily as a
tarball (required by both CE and my company's hermetic build system).
There's no "install" in either case; I can use the GCC unpacked at a
certain spot in the filesystem and know it uses the binutils it was built
with. This means LTO and all that work, regardless of the host system's
binutils, and the location of their unpacking.

As the unpack path differs on every installation I can't build GCC with a
`--prefix` to that location. This is why I went with an in-tree binutils in
the first instance, the absolute path requirement of `--prefix` was
untenable. For what it's worth I've built every other version of GCC from
tarballs with in-tree bintuils until GCC 5.5 and 7.3.

I don't use arbitrary releases of GCC and binutils, I pick what I believe
is the appropriate version of binutils per GCC release (usually the latest
binutils available at the time GCC was released). In this case I'm building
with bintuils 2.29.1

If in-tree binutils isn't supported, it would be ideal if this is
documented somewhere and GCC made to not attempt to compile an in-tree
binutils, failing with an error message instead of a very obscure linker
error.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

--