Re: Tests Still Fail with mpc/mpfr linking incorrectly

On 06/10/17 11:44, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
On 6 October 2017 at 11:42, Toebs Douglass wrote:
I am no expert, and what I say now may be completely wrong, but I wanted to
compile every GCC from 4.1.2 onwards on a range of targets, and it took me
three months to get to the point where I could build *some* of them.  Some I
think *cannot* build (particularly older versions, particularly non-Intel
targets).

Yes, for older versions there are some patches required to build them
with modern compilers (or you can use an older GCC to build them).

Well, in my experience - bearing in mind I'm absolutely non-expert and so my ability to fix problems is limited - I found the problems much more varied (and so widespread) than this.

Certainly, there were patches needed to get some versions built - without them you would fail - but plenty of versions, on various platforms, with those patches, would still fail for various reasons.

That's not relevant to current releases. GCC 7.2 can certainly be
built. People do it every day.

Yes.